Friday, March 19, 2010

First Day in Kaktovik!


Today was Amanda and my first day in Kaktovik. We boarded the plane at 8:40 and got to Kaktovik around 10:30. The ride was gorgeous over the White Mountains, the tundra, and the Brooks Range. I really enjoy looking at the line configurations of the braided rivers from the air...art teacher comment :-). When we landed, the plant manager, Larry, picked us up from the landing strip. I went to buckle my seat belt and he expressed there was no reason for seat belts in Kaktovik! At school, I got to see my mom and she introduced us to the faculty. I spent the day in Flora's Inupiat classroom. The students and the faculty are so welcoming! I am currently organizing with Flora a Kandinski inspired group mural. I hope the students will enjoy the project. I really like the small class sizes...whole new dimension in classroom management. The rest of the day included a walk to the tiny grocery store, the post office and the workout room. It was a great first day in Kaktovik!

1 comment:

  1. Say hi to Flora and greetings to the faculty. I was there last year.
    U

    ReplyDelete