Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Reflective Post

Visiting Harold Kaveolook School was a wonderful experience that opened my eyes to teaching in rural Alaska. I appreciate that Harold Kaveolook and UAF School of Education offers this opportunity , because this could not be understood in a classroom setting in Fairbanks. One of the aspects that made a deep impression on me from this exprience was the informal, yet professional, atmosphere of the school. There was a family-like atmoshpere in which that students and the staff worked as a team. Perhaps the closeness of the community and the small class sizes fostered this atmosphere. I really enjoyed the students addressing me as "Anneli" instead of "Ms. Gadamus". The small class sizes also fostered individualized instruction. I sensed that the teachers new their students well and how to best individually educate them.

I also enjoyed working with Flora and the k-12 grade students in the school-wide Kandinsky mural. The students seemed to really enjoy the project. I was happy they added symbols of their culture to celebrate a sense of place. Students in the workshop class are currently building a frame for the painting. I'm excited to see a photograph of the finished product!

Personally, the most difficult aspect for me to work on the North Slope of Alaska would be the harsh climate. Having -28 below wind chill in the end of March makes for a long winter. Although I wore what I thought were warm clothes for a snowmobile ride, I only lasted a couple of hours before I needed to warm up. If I were to work on the Slope, I will make sure to be prepared with plenty of serious outdoor gear so I can appreciate the outdoors!

Thank you so much for all the people who made this experience possible, especially Flora, Shele, Uta and my parents. I have learned many things that will help me be a better teacher! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. -28 wind chill is pretty rough. The hardest thing for me during my trip was not falling while I walked on the snow and we didn't even have much wind in Ambler!

    ReplyDelete